If you discover how to find your passion, and turn that passion into a career, this truly is a great blessing in life. Do what you love and you will never have to work a single day in your life. Do what you love and money will follow!
It is said all around, it is written in every self-improvement book, taught in every better-life seminar, it is the number one piece of advice given to a teenager when choosing his/her studies.
But really guys how can you practically find your passion and discover what you love and excites you? That one thing that gets you out of bed in the morning, full of joy and energy, and motivates you to keep moving forward regardless of any difficulty?
How can you find that one thing that will fill you with self – love, and love for those around you? That one thing that will make you jump into life and give it all you’ve got?
Most of the time, what we long for is in front of our eyes, dominating our lives, but in a way we choose to ignore it because we are unable to understand how to make a living out of it.
At other times even though we do realize all those things that effortlessly thrill us, we don’t even dare to imagine changing our lives, leaving behind all those things that drain our energy and make us unhappy.
We are so afraid of other people’s opinions, mostly afraid to expose our true calling to family and friends (see here), we are so terrified of what others will think and we end up suffering from social anxiety.
End result; We don’t even make the slightest effort to opt for happiness and start doing something we love. We remain prisoners of our fears and our settled, “normal” life.
When living your passion none of the things you do gets you tired. You dedicate your soul and body to your purpose, enjoying every moment of the journey. The energy makes you feel electrified, it motivates you to give it 100% and therefore success and development come naturally and effortlessly. You are not dreading Mondays anymore and you stop living for the weekends. You enjoy each day that you are blessed with, take all it has to offer and suddenly life gains significance and meaning.
So which are the ways to find your passion and discover what you love and excites you?
Discover your greatest personal strengths
First of all, to be able to find your passion and turn it into a career, you need to deeply know yourself and be able to identify and embrace your greatest strengths. It is important to practice areas in which you have a natural inclination, and dynamic, as in this way you will always work with confidence and energy, you will enhance your self-esteem and recognize your uniqueness: To learn about own strengths and weaknesses and find true talents and passion can be quite a long process. Some questions to ask yourself to discover those areas are:
- In which subjects do you feel having a natural advantage over other people?
- Which topics do you feel comfortable and confident talking about? As if you can answer any question asked?
- In what field do you feel exceptional working on?
- What topics do you feel confident talking about, and deep down you feel that you own?
- What could you do to combine your talents and interests that will add value to the lives of the people around you so they can seek it out?
For instance, I chose to follow mathematics as I believed that through this direction it would be easier to ensure a successful career path. I followed this path, I practiced it and I have conquered it at a great point.
However, I’ve always known that my natural talent is philosophical studies and psychology. It comes naturally and effortlessly to me, like second nature.
So if theoretically, I chose to study and work in that field, I know deep inside that I’d be great at it and even be one of the best on that sector. Please note that I am not saying that arrogantly but out of self-awareness and by identifying my power features.
Did I choose the wrong path? “My studies have ensured a good, safe job for me that I love and it fulfills me to a good extend. However, I’ve always felt like a part was missing and that there is something else for me that I still haven’t found. Out of this need, I created this blog and I’m happy I did as I’ve always believed that it is never too late to go after your dreams.
If you don’t really know what your talents are:
- Take a piece of paper and brainstorm as to your power talents.
- Write everything that comes in your mind and at the end evaluate what you wrote.
- Imagine yourself practicing each one of those ideas and observe the way you feel.
- Choose those ideas that give you the most positive feelings and work on them. Feelings are always a good guide.
What you loved as a child
All those things that passionate us, usually they show up in our childhood. As a child, you are pure and honest to your self. You don’t have to worry about things like social rules, being acceptable, make money, pay bills, etc. The only criterion is what brings you joy, enthusiasm, happiness. You naturally select your interests.
So learn from your childhood. Think back to your play and remember how you ‘d spent your free time. Especially in the summer time when schools are closed and children spend countless hours of activities and play, there you can discover amazing things about yourself, passions, interests, and talents.
How did you fill up these hours? How can you incorporate them into your daily routine and why not turn them into a good source of income?
- Which was your favorite role to play?
- Were you the grocery store manager?
- Were you an artist like a singer, actor, painter, musician?
- Were you a negotiator, a teacher, a doctor?
- Which one of these talents could you practice now, integrate it in your everyday life and transform it into a source of income?
Remind back and discover what still brings in the magic.
Take money out of the equation
Now let’s assume that all your financial needs are covered and you have ensured your family’s living for the rest of your life.
- What do you choose to work on? Or even better what would you do for free?
- What would be that thing that would get you out of bed in the morning energized and motivated?
- If there is no risk of failure what would you start tomorrow morning?
- Who is your role model – whose steps you’d like to follow
Those questions are so important in understanding our interests and discovering our passions. Most of us don’t even dare a small step towards our dream life out of fear about our financial security but also because of fear of failure.
Try different things
Say yes to new opportunities and new activities. Get off the couch and try out new experiences that seem interesting to you. Choices are unlimited.
Sports, gym, dance, cooking lessons, riding a bike, chess, jewelry making, blogging, make-up lessons, nature exploration, etc.
Network, meet new people who inspire you and will guide you through their example.
Find subjects that intrigue and compel you to take up
When working on something you love and feel passionate about, this absorbs you and you don’t even realize you much time you’re spending. Observe yourself:
- Which shelf of the library do you spend most of your time?
- Which subjects do you search for and study online?
- What excites you that much you don’t even need a break from?
There must be something that dominates most of your time, your thoughts, your conversations, and your explorations.