The ultimate question in everyone’s life is how to find happiness. But how easy is that really? When was the last time you felt happy? The last time you felt full of overjoyed delight?
Let’s face it, happiness isn’t a given, and also each one of us has a different interpretation of what happiness is. Things one takes for granted, someone else is praying for.
Lack of happiness or even not knowing how to find happiness, makes us suffer. It makes us retreat into ourselves, discourages us, and prevents us from making plans about our lives. Lack of happiness causes depression, and no wonder this is one of the greatest psychological problems of our times.
If you are feeling depressed or lacking happiness in your life then keep reading. This is your guide! Follow the tips below and discover 5+1 basic principles on how to find happiness and enjoy it in every aspect of your life.
1) Appreciate and be grateful for everything you already have in your life:
I assure you this is the greatest secret of happy people. The fact that they can feel blessed and fulfilled about things you and I also have in our lives but take for granted.
So act like happy people, and to start with, remember to feel happy for:
- Enjoying good health
- Being able to breathe fresh air
- Having a family that loves you
- Having a roof over your head and food on your table
- Waking up this morning and living another day
You crave a bigger house but someone else is homeless sleeping on the streets.
You feel pressure at work but your job provides food for your family.
Whenever you stand in life, there are people who are in a worse fate than you are.
So stop thinking about what is missing, stop comparing, stop being disappointed and FEEL HAPPY about everything you have.
Remember that even difficult days won’t last forever. Tomorrow a new day is arising. This is such an encouraging fact to have in mind.
2) Enjoy the little pleasures of life:
If you are looking for happiness in your next purchase, in your next relationship, in your next paycheck, believe me, you won’t find it! Happiness is all about moments. Don’t try to delimit happiness. Happiness exists in every small act. You just need to be able to recognize it.
- Your first-cup of fresh coffee in the morning
- A sweet hug from your kids
- A nice dinner with your sweetheart
- A hot bath
- A car ride on a sunny Sunday with loud music and good friends
- A walk in nature
- Reading a book while lying on the couch covered with a warm blanket
- Be with good friends, talk, laugh, let yourself free
- The smile on your loved ones face.
Don’t get distracted by unrealistic expectations and please stop setting strict requirements on how to find happiness.
There are so many beautiful happy moments in your life. Happiness is already in da house baby. You just need to recognize it and appreciate it.
3) Choose who and what you include in your life:
Growing up and evolving as an adult, I guess you already know (and if not then you should conquer that skill asap) how to identify the positive and worthy people, who have a valuable impact on your life.
These are the people you should follow, exemplify and seek to have in your daily life.
Stay away from toxic people and toxic situations, who will only drain your energy and spoil your mood. Those are people that you should have already excluded from your everyday life.
So choose to have around you:
- People you appreciate, admire and feel comfortable being yourself around them, not having to pretend anything different than your true self.
- People who have qualities you admire, as regards their behavior, way of thinking and general life attitude.
- People who inspire you, encourage you and make you want to give the best of you, and who are happy about your happiness.
Stop expending your energy on the malicious, complex persons, those that their energy is negative, their behaviors are fake and intended.
You know exactly which ones I mean. All those persons that make you feel a little less about yourself, disappointed and drained, every time you meet them. Those persons are the first ones you should from your life.
4) Look at the positive side of life
As humans, we tend to be pessimistic (at least most of I know of) and always expect the worst-case scenario. I believe it’s a form of self-defense, we ‘re kind of preparing ourselves for the negative outcome. But this attitude towards life events is only harmful to our mental and physical health.
Just believe and anticipate that a good thing may come out even from the worst situation. And it happens. For example:
- You get fired and you are so worried about your future, all those bills, and expenses. But this could as well be a fresh start for you. A chance to explore other professional opportunities that interest you more, to start again more passionately and thrive in something you love.
- You broke up with your partner and feel devastated. But what if I told you that you got rid of a relationship not beneficial for you. Now you are free and ready to meet your soulmate, the love of your life.
- You failed your exams and believe that life is over. However, now you can think about everything that went wrong, learn from your mistakes and start organizing better for next time.
Many people have gone through difficult situations, (most probably much more difficult from the ones you face) and they ‘ve become more mature, stronger, and better prepared to deal with life challenges. Just because they’ve found the way to look for the positive side in every aspect of their life, even in the darkest ones.
And for some, situations that initially seemed like a catastrophe, they ended up being the channel through which they discovered what was meant for them. Don’t you want to be one of those persons? Those who turn every situation to their benefit? This is the way:
- Most importantly you need to recognize, believe and transmit to your subconscious mind that there is always the other side of the same coin. Evaluate what is happening and ask yourself.
- What is this teaching me? What actions lead me to this situation? What can I gain from this in order not to be in the same difficult condition again?
- And even more. How can I use the present facts to my interest? What opportunities may arise from this catastrophe?
5) Live in passion
For a long time, it was really ambiguous to me what really means to live in passion. During times of economic scarcity, where we all are in the run all day long, with numerous obligations and limited time what does it actually mean to live in the moment? How can you really embrace the notorious “Carpe Diem”?
If to live with passion you expect:
- To travel to the other side of the earth
- To swim with dolphins
- To win the lottery(!)
- To climb mount Everest etc
then let me tell you that limited passionate experiences you ‘ll have!
Of course, knowing what really passionates and enthusiasm you, is fundamental for a happy life, and you can find a way to discover your passions in this post.
Still, how can you include passion in every moment of your life? This will happen if you:
- Decide to put all your energy, joy and motivation (no matter the outer situations) to the present moment. At the office, while you ‘re working like crazy, at your house while you take care of your kids and feel short of courage and energy. While cooking a meal for your family, talking to a friend and so on.
- Try and focus your thoughts and spirit in what you ‘re working on at the moment. Even if it’s something you consider boring, try and find something interesting at it. For example:
- If you are at work you have in mind that someone is expecting something from you, so your work is valuable to somebody and actually, somebody is willing to pay for the work you are doing right now.
- If you are at home with the kids, think of all the memories you want them to have from their childhood. I’m sure you’d like them to remember their mom happy and smiling, loving them, taking good care of them, playing with them, giving them an enormous amount of love and kisses. A mom being 100% present.
- if you’re cleaning your house, then have in mind that you’re taking care of the house which is a shelter for your family. The house in which you welcome your friends and that you want to keep fresh, clean and tidy.
Let me tell you this. You ‘re not going to make it every time. But if you adopt the correct life attitude, this will motivate you and it will give you the strength to keep pushing forward every day no matter what.
Find your motivation, dedicate yourself to what you’re doing and give it all you’ve got. Try it! It works!
6) Change your beliefs
Happiness is a personal decision. You are the one to decide about your life journey, about the decisions you are going to make, about the people to accompany you on this journey.
You are the one to decide as to the way you ‘re spending your time, and effort, on how you are spending your days and your money.
Because you are the only one who knows what fulfills your life and your heart.
So don’t get carried away by the society’s rules and examples, and don’t let social criticism affect your decisions and actions (Check this article on social criticism).
Rush into life in boldness and claim everything you deserve, everything that you desire.
Since you ‘re not harming anyone, then you don’t have to explain yourself to anyone.
Live for YOU. Do you. For you.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times if one only remembers to turn on the light”. Albus Dumbledore